December 29, 2017
The BUIHA are pleased to announce squad trials, for both the Men’s and Women’s Great Britain Universities (GBU) Ice Hockey Teams.
GBU exist to compete in the biennial FISU World University (Winter) Games (also known as the Winter Universiade), an international student event, renowned globally as being second only to the Olympic Winter Games.
The BUIHA, supported by BUCS and IHUK, have aspirations to create both GBU Men’s and Women’s teams to comprise of talented athletes with prior experience of representing GB at Junior International level, in IIHF World Championships, National team level (e.g. England or Scotland), or Conference level.
Thus GBU are looking for players with the ability and potential to compete internationally, against some of the best ice hockey nations in the world, e.g. Canada, Russia and USA. In previous events, GBU have played against players that had already represented their nations at IIHF World Championships, with some having played in e.g. NHL, Liiga and KHL.
The BUIHA have created an ambitious rolling 2-year programme for Team GBU (Men and Women), with training camps to include on / off-ice training, led by highly qualified and experienced coaches, in addition to a series of pre-tournament challenge games.
To qualify, you MUST:
• Be aged 17-28 on 1st Jan 2019 (i.e. born between 1 Jan 1991 to 31st Dec 2001)
• Studying (or in the process of applying, with the intention of studying) at HEFCE Level 4 or above, at a recognised academic institution (UK or internationally), in the academic year 2018/19… or an Alumnus, having graduated from a recognised academic the institution, and who will have obtained their academic degree / diploma in the year preceding the event (i.e. students graduating in 2017/2018).
Minimum Playing Experience:
• England / Scotland / Northern Ireland – National Ice Hockey League / BUIHA Division 1 (or U20s / U18s – if applicable), but aspiring to play Elite Ice Hockey League.
• England / Scotland / Northern Ireland – Women’s National Division 1 / BUIHA Division 1 (or U20s / U18s – if applicable), but aspiring to play English Women’s Elite League.
• Current registered player with a recognised ice hockey organisation (e.g. EIHA / SIHA, EIHL, NCAA, etc)
The first squad trials for both Men and Women, is scheduled for 26th January 2018, at Ice Sheffield, between 8am-4pm (exact timings will not be advertised), with dedicated Men’s and Women’s sessions running consecutively.
Players, coaches and team managers are asked to email Simon Hopkins – GBU Programme Director: email@example.com with nominations and the following details, for consideration, pending invitation to trials:
• Full Name
• Age on 1st Jan 2019
• Current academic status and level
• Current Team
• Highest level played
• Player position
• Availability on 26 Jan 2018 (Ice Sheffield, 8am – 4pm)