GK1 – EIHA Level 1 Certificate in Goalie Coaching
The GK1 – Level 1 course is suitable for people who are already coaching or are wanting to begin coaching goaltenders.
- Half Day Attendance Course
Price: £35.00 – Course must be paid for in full before attending
Attendees will be given an introduction to goaltenders and goalie coaching in a classroom setting followed by an on-ice session.
The main aim of the course is to give everyone an introduction to coaching goaltenders with the strapline “K.I.S.S – Keep It Simple Stupid”
On completion of the course attendees will gain access to the GK1 section of the EIHA goalie forum. The forum can be used to keep up to date with the latest trends and news within goaltending as well as to raise any questions they may have.
The GK1 will also count towards your recertification.
Coaching Course Prerequisites
– Be aged at least 16 on the first day of the course
– Be competent skaters
– Hold an up to date EIHA Level 1 or Level 2 or equivalent
– Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading, writing and comprehension)
– Have a good working knowledge of the sport, the rules and the terminology of the game of Ice Hockey
Minimum Ice Hockey Skill Requirements
- Skate forward / Skate backwards
- Stop moving in all directions / Stop on both feet forward & backward
- Pivot forwards to backwards and backwards to forward
Before attending the course, learners must ensure they hold a current and up to date Level 1 or Level 2 or equivalent
- Have an up to date DBS check
- Start to keep a Coaching Portfolio/Logbook
Half Day Attendance Course Includes
This includes a classroom theory lesson and practical activities.
- Basic Stance
- Skating and Movement
- Puck Handling
- Angles and Positioning
- Basic Save Selection
There is also a Practical Coaching session which lasts a minimum of 1 hour. A helmet, skates, stick and gloves will be required for any on ice activities.
We may ask for a volunteer during the course to suit up as a goalie for the on ice session, if you would be interested in doing this please let the instructors know.
Post Course Evaluation
There is no post course exam for the GK1, however the instructors will evaluate your participation in the classroom session and how you deliver your drill during the on ice session before signing off your GK1 – Level 1.
DBS Enhanced Disclosures are required prior to registration for coaches over 17 years old, if working in hockey other than adults-only recreational or university hockey. Further details are in the Education Programme registration procedures.
EIHA Goaltenders Forum
You can join in the EIHA Forums here: